Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Diapers which are better cloth or disposable?

I have taken an interest in diapers...which are better cloth or disposable? There are many types of disposable diapers available in today’s market for our convenience-conscious society; while concern over landfill space has pushed for “greener” alternatives, disposable diapers are still disposable. A disposable diaper with a plastic exterior lining is no different than a 100% plastic-free disposable diaper once it has been tossed into a plastic household trash bag and dumped into a landfill. There's the super absorbent name brand ones, or the not-so famous cloth diapers.

Now these aren't the same cloth ones your mom or grandma used on you, these are much more sophisticated. They have flushable liners, snaps or velcro, and less fill for the landfills. Yes, this requires more laundry, about 2 more loads per week. But the way I look at it, is that it may be more work for you, but I'd rather do the extra work, then let the poop fill up the landfills. And from the research I've gathered, it appears that disposable diapers cost about $2200 over the course of the diapering stage, whereas cloth will cost you about $600, with the extra washing costs.

So my personal opinion is: cloth worked for my bottom just fine; I think I'll stick with it for my children too! What are your opinions, suggestions, and/or tips on cloth or disposable?

No comments:

Post a Comment